Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Line Dry Clothes

The lint you clean out of the dryer on a regular basis is bits of your clothing. To get clothes to last longer it's better to line dry. I line dry all my black slacks, skirts and tops because it helps keep the color from fading. Black is very sensitive to heat and fades quickly. Since I live in the Northeast I admit it is easiest to line dry in the summer. There are some unexpected benefits to line drying as well. I find that for cotton sheets it's the best. In the dryer the sheets sometimes get spun around into a tight ball and come out wrinkled to tears. But on the line you can lay them out so that even the top hem stays straight. I also have some lace topped t-shirts which I can lay out to finish drying on my bed. This avoids the need to iron and keeps the clothes looking fresher longer. The truth is that I am not very domestic so that any work I can avoid is a good thing. I also have some embroidered pillowcases for the guest room which are better if they are laid out. I do use my dryer but most of the time I take things out a bit damp so I can lay them out to finish drying. They come out looking like they've been ironed. I also take out my towels a bit damp and let them dry on the hook in the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment