Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Create a Receipt Receptacle

I have rented out my house, it's now a business. I have to keep track of receipts for tax purposes. But it's a good idea to keep receipts for most purchases for quite some time. Most of the time, I stuff receipts in my wallet, But then they have to be put somewhere else. I have a folder for the house stuff. But for ordinary purchases, I have started using an old tissue box. It's very quick and easy and keeps the receipts from looking messy on my landing pad. More about landing pads later. Anyway, having the receipt comes in handy when returning items. Most stores will accept their stock without a receipt, but they will only give you the last discounted price. Having the receipt means you'll get the full price which is always much better. Home Depot and Lowe's will accept their merchandise but will give store credit which is fine for me because we're always fixing something. They keep credit card records for about 90 days which means if you return something in that time, the money will just go back on your card. After that you get store credit. But they take down the info from your license which is a drag. I've heard some people return Home Depot items bought at tag sales. But it's not like you can get cash, it's only store credit. Anyway it's a good idea to keep receipts. An empty tissue box works well for this. It looks neat and pretty and keeps things from getting lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment