Thursday, December 15, 2011

Learn to Knit

I tried to knit, but I'm too spastic and blind. It seems so very relaxing and looks like fun on the train when traveling to work. Also I like accessories. I often thrown on a scarf and a pin and make an old outfit brand new. So I would like to knit to jazz up my wardrobe. Sadly, not in this life. It also seems to be a fun way to create Christmas gifts. I would make me my first recipient. I also like the idea of having and wearing something no one else has or wears. This was the motive behind buying second hand. Also buying second hand is a good way of spotting the really good stuff. If it was all the rage a while ago but still looks good then it was a good design. It will last because it can stand the test of time. Back to knitting. I also love to have warm throws and covers around in the winter. I always buy them at yard sales. I leave them on the couch, chairs and the bed to curl up and stay warm. I like that they are not store bought and uniform. I love the quirkiness of hand made things. I wish I could make a bedspread of granny squares, or make a multi-colored rainbow scarf. There is something delicious in the hand made thing. We've lost our individuality chasing after fads and getting what everyone else has. I always wanted the thing nobody else had. That's just me, it's not for everyone. I never paid top dollar for anything. This concept has served me well over the years. When everyone was chasing designer this and that, I was putting together a great wardrobe and buying vintage pins that are now out of reach. Then when everyone wanted the big, big house, I bought a small one and had it paid off. Now instead of worrying about a big mortgage, I collect a rent check every month. Bucking the trend is not for everyone, but it sure has worked for me.

1 comment:

  1. Crocheting is better than knitting. I can literally just sit in front of the TV and crochet away without even thinking or looking down.

    ReplyDelete