Friday, December 16, 2011

Buy Your Own Christmas Present

I guess I can add selfish to my long list of personal faults which include cheap and lazy. I find what I really want, put it in a box and hand it to my husband for Christmas or my birthday. It's a little game we play. I act surprised and I always love what I get. Sure beats wasting money on something I don't really want. Besides, it's always Christmas at my house. We are always getting or giving little presents. Also I don't really need anything at this point in my life. I used to have nothing, but now I feel I have way too much. When I first graduated from college I had no clothes and no accessories. I didn't even have a decent pair of shoes to wear to work. I had nothing but bills. But little by little I started to buy stuff. I always bought good stuff. I got expensive stuff on the cheap because I bought second hand. Anyway after a while something funny happened, I suddenly had everything and more than enough. Lately what I have been doing is getting upgrades. If I get a new thing, I try to get something better. I gave away six or seven coats this year because I bought three "new to me" coats that were better. I keep the very best stuff and take good care of it. Yesterday I gave away a jacket I got as a teenager. I took care of it, but I no longer wanted to wear it. What I do with jewelry is to sell a bunch and then buy back something I really like in sterling silver.

No comments:

Post a Comment