Monday, October 3, 2011

Buy it Bigger

For the most part I buy in bulk.  My only problem is with stuff like laundry detergent it sometimes gets too heavy for me to handle easily.  My solution is to pour it into smaller containers.  I keep a couple of empty bottles in the laundry room for this purpose.  Buying the big size on sale saves money and time.  I get it done all at once instead of having to lug four or five smaller bottles.  I also cut down on waste and keep stuff out of the landfill.  I try to keep my garbage to a minimum.  The people across the street scare me with their garbage.  While my pail is a third of the way full, theirs is always overflowing.  They have 2 kids, so that must be it? But in general, as Americans we are very wasteful. I became very conscious of garbage while living on Staten Island which had the world's largest garbage dump.  I desperately wanted to keep stuff out of the landfill.  I changed my shopping habits.  It took a little time but I found I could reduce the amount of garbage we had.  Now at my grocery store, I get a credit for bringing my own bags.  It's not much but every little bit helps.  I picked up a bunch of bags at a tag sale and they have already paid for themselves.  Not to mention that I am no longer in inundated with tons of plastic bags.  Even though I use them for my kitchen trash can, I always had way too many.

2 comments:

  1. You are right that we are very wasteful, however I always have to remember that I don't have kids so I can't judge the way I spend or buy things, and someone who has children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right having kids changes everything, but we also have a responsibility to teach or kids to become good custodians of our resources by setting a good example while wasting less.

    ReplyDelete