Monday, October 10, 2011

Be Low Maintenance

I have always been a low maintenance kind of gal.  I don't get my nails done and I don't go to the beauty parlor for my hair. I go to the unisex shop at the mall for 14 dollars and sometimes I have my husband trim it. As for my nails, my main objective is to keep my hands and nails clean.  I always carry a small metal nail file with me just in case a nail breaks and to keep my nails clean. One year when I was in high school, I painted my nails.  But I found there was too much maintenance.  I had to do touch-ups in mid week and I just couldn't be bothered.  I also never wore a lot of make-up.  Just a little blush and lipstick.  I can't see well so it didn't make much sense.  Now that I'm older too much make-up will make me look silly. The truth about my hair is that I have a sensitive scalp and I don't like anyone touching my hair.  I also have really nice thick hair.  It has a bit of a wave and all I do is run my finger through it and let it air dry.  I don't like the blow dryer. My husband touches up my grey  every  6  weeks.  My hair holds dye very well and I  wash it only about twice a week.   Last year I had a high maintenance haircut.  It was very short and my hair grows really fast so I had to get it trimmed often.  I'm letting it grow out this winter and will get something easier next summer.  I sometimes have long hair but I find I shed a lot and that makes it messy.  I'd rather keep it short and easy to deal with.  Also I'm older now and long hair is better for younger women.  I like being low maintenance.  Sometimes high maintenance women look older.  Too much make-up can make a woman look plastic.  Natural is best.  Also I once had a friend at work who was always made up.  One day she didn't wear her make-up and everyone thought she was sick or something.  I thought that was funny but I also realized that wearing too much make-up can be a burden.  I'd rather be low maintenance.  It leaves me time for other things.

4 comments:

  1. True, though many black women have to do a lot more to their hair if it's relaxed or if they wear a weave (which is why I do neither). I agree about the nails, I keep them short and clean and you're supposed to wear make up in such a way that you don't look made up, but just a better version of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Black women's hair is fine just the way it is naturally. Why relax it and make it boring? But then again, I guess you have to keep it pretty short and that requires maintenance or does it? My father used to cut his own hair. I came from a family of cheapos. He worked in an office and had to have a haircut every two weeks. After a while he got pissed off with the expense and bought himself a couple of mirrors and said goodbye to his barber forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, there are some employers that will not hire a black woman with locs (which take a lot of maintenance) or natural hair (that has to be shaped, and that's not easy to do yourself). Some people call natural hair unprofessional, and not smooth. No matter what we black women do to our hair, it requires some kind of maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, that blows. But for many women the whole maintenance thing is overdone and wastes time and money. I could have gone for all those things but I said hell no. When long straight hair was all the rage, I threw away my blow dryer and cut my hair. I still got a boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete