Monday, October 17, 2011

Ditch Your Bank and Join a Credit Union

When I started banking, my first bank was a small savings and loan. Back then there was a clear distinction between commercial banks and bank for regular folks. After buying my apartment, I took a walk and found the main branch of a small bank a few blocks from the house.  Over the years things have changed and my small bank was gobbled up two or three times.  The last time it was eaten by a foreign banking conglomerate.  They immediately started imposing fees.  I felt they wanted me to pay for their merger. After almost twenty years, it was time to get another bank.   Luckily I was moving so I shopped around for a better place to do business.  My new town had a credit union which I immediately joined.  They have virtually no fees and they are about a block from the house.  We should all get rid of our commercial bankers and get a more customer oriented bank.  I'm all for the Occupy Wall Street folks and I think we can all do our fair share by pulling our money out of their system.  They don't need us, let them make money with the rich.  I am all for completely closing our wallets to the corporate banking machine and its wild running dogs the credit card companies and the culture of consumerism.  Join a credit union and stop shopping.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this, though I think it's easy to stop shopping when you don't have kids who want this and that. I don't need clothes, but if I had small children, they would need clothes. So to stop shopping is easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete