Friday, September 30, 2011

Get it For Free

I can understand not wanting to dumpster dive but that doesn't mean you can't still get lots of stuff for free.  Between Craigslist and freecycle, I think I will have no problem furnishing my place in Florida.  (For you folks living in NYC check out the freegan network.  There are plenty of people who not only save but also make money off other people's garbage.) For Florida I won't be buying new from China,  instead I will be picking up odds and ends which I will paint in funky colors and bring back to life with new hardware.  Some stuff I will make on my own.  It's amazing what people throw out.  I think it's much better to rehab stuff in a cool way than let it all go to the land fill.  There is so much you can do with paint.  I remember doing this with my first place.  I painted just about everything and it looked pretty good.  I have always had simple tastes and I am a happy person.  Stuff doesn't make you happy.  I don't think anyone is entitled to waste so much of everything.  I am just happy to be alive and after open heart surgery and a stroke, being alive is no small thing. Perception is reality. I always preferred free time to money.  I'd rather work on something and make it pretty than just lay down the cash for it. This also gives self worth, but that's me and my way of life may not be for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment