Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Conserve Your Good Stuff

Razors get dull and rust if they are left wet. I got this tip on TV and now I blow dry my husband's razors when he leaves them in the sink. As with most things simple maintenance can prevent most problems. Now is the season to switch out the wardrobe. As I put away my summer stuff I am careful to make sure everything is clean. I also run things through the dryer to kill any eggs. Moths like to deposit eggs on soiled clothing letting larvae eat through to the natural fibers. I rarely lose things to insect damage anymore since I became scrupulous about storage. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Now after years of shopping I have many pieces of clothing that are just irreplaceable. I have vintage designer stuff that looks great that I will never find again. I carefully store and manage these pieces. I have so much stuff now that I don't have to buy any more clothing. I look at the Salvation Army and other sources of second hand clothing as something that will eventually disappear. We may be looking at an extended period of underemployment and falling wages. If that happens and people can no longer shop till they drop, then there might be less and less second hand clothing available. I am preparing for that by conserving what I have right now. Take care of your stuff. Live like you can't get more and you'll be rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment