Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Splurge on Durables

Buy old well made furniture. Older stuff is strong. That's why you're likely to still see it around. I prefer stuff made before the 1960's. The old stuff was built to last. The drawer joints are dovetailed which means the drawer face won't come off in your hand one day, while the supporting legs run the height of the piece ennsuring durability. Most of the new stuff is held together with chewing gum and duct tape. Updating is easy. You can refinish and change drawer pulls. I found a very strong coffee table by the side of the road, which I sanded and refinished then I changed the drawer pulls for two dollars. Now I have a really nice coffee table that would have cost much more in the store and not been as well made. Also you can just paint an old piece for a modern look. Black always works well. I bought a couch for the first time this year. I splurged on leather with power reclining seats. I plan to keep it for the next ten years. I think it will cost me less than $100 a year and give me plenty of enjoyment. It really was about time I bought a new couch and we use it all the time. Get the best and what you want when it comes to durables that are going to be with you a long time. The most important durable to splurge on is the bed. The bed should be the best bed you can possibly afford and think of it as something you will amortize over the course of several years. Although the bed frame we bought we got off Craiglist but it is strong and sturdy and well worth what we paid for it. The mattress cost three times as much, but was worth it since it will last years.  For durables:  Buy the best, buy it once.  Buy a classic, take care of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment