Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Get Rid of Services

When I first moved up to the Hudson Valley we only got internet access.  It's all we needed.  I bought a magic jack and got rid of Verizon.  It was one of the happiest days of my life.  Unless you have had the same phone line for twenty years, Verizon can be expensive.  And I could never understand their bills.  I always felt cheated.  I got a magic jack instead.  But I know some people just use their cell phone and lose the land line, which is what I plan to do when I get the Florida House.  I'll have to get an unlimited plan and a better phone.  Right now I have a cheap plan and an old flip phone, which is fine for my purposes.   An  old TV with a VCR is enough for movies from the library.  For TV shows I can use the laptop   Between Hulu and the feeds from most cable channels, I feel no need to get cable.  Better to invest in an Apple computer, which is less prone to viruses for visiting these sites.  When I move I will get an IPAD and use that for everything in order to keep the bills down.  Cable Services will soon be a thing of the past anyway which is fine by me.  The whole smartphone thing is going to change our lives in ways we can't even imagine right now.

3 comments:

  1. Keep the flip phone, those are better than smartphones anyway.

    Get an iPAD and/or an Apple computer and use the land line for Internet connection only, for movies use the library and have a DVD player and that's all you need. I think it's a sin and a shame that people pay for TV now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I'm kissing them all good-bye. I don't need the bill and besides there's nothing to watch. It's cheaper to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might also look for a town with bus or trolley service. Our son has lived in the Clearwater area, Orlando area, and Daytona area. They all have bus service for about $4 a day. They also sell discounted monthly passes. In Joplin Missouri we have a nice trolley that makes stops at most of the businesses and offices. It does not run as last as the Florida buses. However, its is less expensive. Some of them also give a discount to seniors, students, or disabled citizens.

    ReplyDelete