Monday, August 29, 2011

Combine Trips

The price of gas these days is so high that it only makes sense to combine trips.  We have one trip for every Tuesday it seems.   At around noon we get in the car and go to a church Thrift Shop that is only open on Tuesdays and Saturdays.  We stop in look around and then drive a couple more miles to the discount movie theater where we see a movie for only two dollars on Tuesdays. After the movies we stop in at the big supermarket and shop quickly.  Tuesday is also the day they put out discount fruit, fish and meat.  We get home at around six pm for dinner.  We've had a great time and we're loaded with stuff to put away.  Tuesday is my favorite day of the week.  Another way we save on gas money is to shop in town on foot.  I made an effort to pick a town where I could get everything.  I have a supermarket, a drug store, a post office ( for the eBay business), a dry cleaners, a shoe repair shop and a wine store.  We used to go to a big box store to buy wine but we are thinking of saving the gas money and shopping local.  It might be a bit more expensive and have less variety but the wine shop is two blocks from the house and you can't  beat that for convenience. 
 As we search for a retirement place in Florida, I will insist on the same hometown convenience I have here.  I need to be able to take care of most things on foot.  My husband drives but I don't;  should something happen, I have to be able to take care of things on my own on foot.   If someone out there has a good suggestion of a walkable town, please let me know.  Thanks much.

2 comments:

  1. Even if both of you drove, it's always good to live in a place where you don't need to drive, you never know what could happen either to you or a car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking to live near the beach, you may also want to look at Mississippi coastal towns. Cost of living is not high and most of these small towns still have ample property for sale even five years after Katrina. I would recommend Long Beach and Gulfport in particular.

    ReplyDelete