Friday, August 19, 2011

The Question of Values

When it comes to money, you have to ask yourself what do you value in life.  Stuff is way overrated. Also, the whole money saving thing may not work for a lot of people.  Some may look down on wearing second hand clothes.  I don't judge, but I do know that it works for me.  I would rather pay less than more.  Paying too much really bothers me.  I like to keep the money in my wallet.  I'd rather spend the money on peak experiences like travel or on buying durables, like a house.  Someone else might prefer to have what I have, but have to work really hard for it.  For a variety of reasons, I never wanted to work that hard.  I always had health issues and so my job was to figure out a way to live really well while spending and working less.  I needed to keep the stress down to a minimum because I have a bad ticker.  Some people love their jobs and like working hard.  I liked working too, but I hated my long commute.  So I figured out ways to work less, at least outside the home.  I did a lot of work inside my house.  I fixed things, sewed, cooked and made more with my value added work.   But I did it at home where I could pace myself and rest when I got tired.  I guess it's not for everyone.  But for those of you who make upwards to 100K or more and want to retire early, maybe some of the things in this blog can help you to see another way to live.

2 comments:

  1. It is great if you have a job that you love and love doing it; most of the people I work with are that way, they love what they're doing. Unfortunately a lot of people don't have that in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then for those people a plan to get out of the rat race might be a good thing. Save money, spend less and buy a rental property to replace the paycheck. Have a nice life.

    ReplyDelete