Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Dress for Less

People don't want to believe I'm cheap. It bothers them when I say it. But I'm cheap and I'm okay with it. My best trick is the $10 outfit. Yes, I can dress for ten dollars. In the summer I like to wear dresses. The good thing about a dress is that once you put it on you're dressed. I scour yard sales and church sales for inexpensive dresses. I used to buy dresses in the mall stores. Whenever I bought there I was sure to have a strict $20 budget. I never paid more than that for a dress. Strange as it seems, if that's what you want to pay, that's what you'll find.
In the winter I wear slacks. I wear slacks with long johns underneath. I really wear a uniform. It's a lot like wearing a men's suit. I wear black slacks, a black top and the I add color with a sweater or a jacket or a scarf and jewelry. The basic outfit costs me pennies. I get sweaters and jackets cheaply also at tag sales. After all these years, I have a very deep waredrobe and really don't feel the need to buy much anymore. My shopping is restricted to the occasional really, really great thing. Be sure to pick a base color that suits your coloring. I never wear beige because it makes me look washed out. But for some people it works. The sheath as I like to call it is my uniform and takes a lot of the drama out of dressing. You always know what you're going to wear. It's just a matter of adding a little flair. I leave my pins on my jackets.

2 comments:

  1. We were going to take a trip north a few winters ago so I need to purchase a coat. I went to the local mall and found a very nice wool coat for $500.00. NOT HAPPENING... Went to a local consignment shop and found a beautiful full length wool coat for $30.00.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's true you don't have to spend a lot of money. No one is going to know how much you spend on anything. If it looks good and you need it, get it. This weekend I bought a gorgeous cashmere sweater for 85 cents. It's warm. It goes with everything in my closet and it's clean. Of course, I ran it through the dryer in case of bedbugs. But for the most part I never regret buying stuff for less. Sometimes I get angry when I pay too much though.

    ReplyDelete