Thursday, August 11, 2011

Save on Consumables or Disposables

Consumables are anything you are likely to use up quickly. Don't buy toothpaste from China, but do use a coupon to get it for free at the drugstore. Disposables are things that won't last. Cut corners on stuff that will get discarded quickly like kids shoes which they grow out of overnight. Buy sneakers at discounters like Payless or Kmart. I also buy second hand and swap with friends. There is no point to buying high end Nikes for a child who will only get a couple of months out of the investment. Save that money for later when they are in high school and it really matters what they wear to school. A good sturdy bookbag is a better investment. But try to teach kids to make good decisions and make their own fashion before becoming a slave to the Mall. Fashion is disposable that's why it changes every year. Style lasts longer. I try to get costume jewelry as cheaply as possible and change it out regularly. I wear it for a bit and then I resell it. I usually don't make anything, but the price of wearing it dissappears. Scarves and gloves I usually get for one dollar. I consider them disposable because they are prone to loss.  A big ticket clothing purchase would be a coat which I'm sure to get on sale. I always make sure it's classic and goes with the five other things in my wardrobe. If I get home and  find something is not going to work for me, I always take it back for a full refund. Save reciepts and return items which you will not use.  I can't tell how many things I have purchased with the tags still on. Don't just sell it at a yard sale for less than you paid for it.  It's your money.  Get it back. Having said that I disapprove of people who abuse the system.  I worked in retail when I just got out of school.  Thank you Ronald Reagan and some of the things I saw were shocking.  People would return worn out shoes and get their money back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment