Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Keep you 3D glasses and Make Your Own Trends

After seeing Avatar, I made the mistake of recycling my 3D glasses.  When I went to another 3D movie I had to buy them all over again.  Now I keep them and re-use for the next flick.  Of course I have to remember to bring them along, but so far it has worked out well.  I resent having to pay $3 for the junky glasses.  I don't even like 3D.  Most of the time the picture is just dark and harder to watch.  If the story isn't any good, the 3D doesn't make it any better. I have noticed that much of life is a passing fad.  You can't buy into all these things.  Who can afford all of it?  If my TV hadn't broken I would not have bought a flat screen.  My life would not have been any worse.  I see all the first run movies, so I don't have HBO.  I listen to TV more than I watch it.  I am usually doing something else and the TV serves as background noise.  I think that a lot of these trends are just nonsense.  For years the showiest car to buy was a Mercedes Benz, now it seems to be an Audi.  Who cares?   Shouldn't we be buying the best, safest, most fuel efficient car  we can buy.  I don't care what people think.  I don't care what marketers think I'm supposed to have.  I don't want a fountain pen, thank you very much.  The only time I  buy something like that is at a yard sale so I can re-sell  it on eBay.  I can't believe so many people are hypnotized by this nonsense.  Cheapness always protected me from this sort of thing and I'm happy it did.  I prefer to set my own trends and make my own fashion.  It feels more authentic to me.  Years ago I was buying rhinestone pins and wearing them.  People thought they were cool.  My only regret is that I didn't buy more of them.  I was paying less than10 bucks, now they go for a lot more and I can't afford them anymore because the trend has caught up to me.  Make yourown trend, let the market catch up to you, don't chase trends and chase the market.

2 comments:

  1. Don't even bother with 3D glasses, they don't work at every movie. A lot of times if something is going to be 3D on TV, they'll have the glasses for free somewhere, I got a pair at Target. You are right though, can't buy into trends.

    Avatar was great in 3D but I haven't seen a 3D movie since Avatar, oh well, haven't missed anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making your own trend shows an intrepid spirit, admirable and courageous.

    Referring to an earlier article of yours, I agree that there are many free cultural events or media that we can enjoy. For instance, I grew up in the San Francisco area where there are free classical concerts in the park during summer. Nowadays, though, all you have to do is go to www.live365.com and choose among thousands of free stations in the music of your choice. (Currently, I listen to the Beautiful Instrumentals station there.)

    ReplyDelete