Thursday, August 18, 2011

Make Your Own Snacks: Always Pack Food

I don't like Chex Mix, I make my own snacks.  I mixed up a can of snacks for the movies.  This weekend we went to Lancaster, PA and picked up some dried carrot and beet chips and some garlic bagel chips.  I just had to buy some shredded wheat and a box of cheese nips.  Added some peanuts, mixed it all up and I have a nice snack mix, that is not too salty. I have a large storage tin for this purpose.  But once I have the mix all made up, I transfer it into small bags.  I get a box of little zip lock bags at the dollar store,  Once the mix is in the bags all I have to do is grab a couple of bags on my way out the door and I have snacks for any little trip or errand run.   I find that bringing along food saves lots of money on the road.  I always pack snacks and drinks when we go out.  If I don't, it means a pit stop at Burger King or McDonald's.  Besides the added expense, I don't want my husband eating that kind of "food".  I want to keep him and myself healthy and young. I always bring along something to eat.  It gets me out of a jam and keeps us from making bad purchases in the store.  When it comes to grocery shopping, I like to go after eating.  I didn't think this worked at first but over the course of time I found that being full keeps impulse buying to a minimum.  Impulse buying is the worst thing for the budget because no matter how hard you try to be good, once the impulse hijacks your brain, it's impossible to resist.  Always be prepared by carrying snacks in your bag.

2 comments: