Friday, September 23, 2011

Charity Begins at Home: Save Yourself First

You can't give what you don't have.  This may sound selfish, but your first duty is to look out for number one.  If you are sick and broke, how can you help anyone else?  I say take care of yourself first and then you might be able to take care of others.  One of my goals for the Florida house is to have enough room for visitors and long term guests.  Although I don't particularly want to encourage the latter, I know that there are people in my life who might need a roof and a plate of food.  I won't be giving cash, but if someone needs a place to live while working and saving money, I will be there for her.  The thing is, I can only do this if I have enough for myself first which is why I want to buy a place now while it is cheap.  I need to manage my money and provide for my needs first, then I know I can help with the needs of others.  I need something I can afford on my own.  There is no point in having something big that just drains my budget and makes it impossible for me to do anything.  I know plenty of people who can't afford their homes.  They depend on family or friends to help with the bills.  That is not for me.  I must always live within my means and preferably well below them.

No comments:

Post a Comment