Thursday, September 22, 2011

Always do the math

More than once I have looked at something packaged as a bargain only to find that after doing the math it wasn't such a bargain anyway.  The last time this happened, I was shopping for paper towels in a so called discount retailer.  I could buy one roll for 89 cents or six rolls for $5.99.  Most people wouldn't even realize they were being cheated.  I did the math and saved myself the 59 cents.  Actually I saved even more because I just walked out of the store.  A retailer doesn't get a second chance at cheating me.  I always do the math and make sure I get the most bang for my buck.  Be prepared to walk away.  There are very few things one has to buy.  There are plenty of alternatives.  If a retailer tries to cheat you don't go back.  I vote with my wallet and my feet.  I don't need them as much as they need me.  I can leave.  I am not a captive market for their exploitation.  We need to punish bad actors in the market place.  I see nothing wrong with not shopping.  If American capitalists want to export my job and raise prices, I can stop buying and watch how that works out for them.  Always do the math on bulk purchases.  Bulk purchases should always be cheaper.  It's your money.  You can choose how and where to spend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment