Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Get Vaccinated

It's flu season again and time to get vacinnated.  The problem with vaccinations is that it is impossible to measure the cost of something that doesn't happen.  I get my flu shot every year, but I know a lot of people who say they don't believe in it.  Personally, I had a good education and I believe in science.  I also don't want to end up in the hospital over something that is easily preventible. Next year, I am due for a tetanus shot.   Vaccines which prevent cancer are critical to good health in the long term.   For example the Hep 2 and HPV vaccines are important.  When I turned 50 I opted for the pneumonia vaccine because I have a heart condition and it is recommended for heart patients.  Most major cities give these shots for free at the local health clinic.  When I lived in NYC I went down there every year and got my shot.  Some people turn up their noses at such places because it gets all walks of life coming in.  I don't care, I'm not there to socialize. Also they spend just a little more time with you at a health clinic.  I find the level of care superior.  Most doctors these days have an assembly line going in their office.  They're way overbooked.  You wait forever and then you see the doctor for two minutes.  Their is a staggering lack of care in many doctor's offices.  It's all about the money.  Perhaps we should take health care out of the marketplace.  Capitalism distorts medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment