Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Style vs. Fashion

High Fashion can be very expensive although there are stores like TJ MAXX that claim to get designer fashion for less. I guess this is true. I have shopped there and wish and I could shop there more but my wallet won't allow it. Instead I have decided to be stylish. Style is more personal and easily manipulated. I do watch the trends but I adopt them on my own terms. When leopard was in last year, I managed to get myself a leopard bag for a dollar. Whenever there is a hot new color I try to incorporate it into my waredrobe somehow. I can always get a blouse, a scarf or a bag in the hot new color. If I look in my attic, sometimes I can find it among the unused clothing I keep in storage. The best trend spotter is the September issue of Vogue. It lays out what willl be fashionable for the next few seasons. I have a problem with high fashion because early on I realized that in any given fashion cycle there willl be things that just don't look good on me. This is why I love second hand clothes. If something is past, but looks good on my body type I tend to buy it. I will look good anyway. Or at least I will look better than a fad that does nothing for me. Lately most summer dresses in t5he stores are sleeveless. I am now at an age when I should be covering my arms, not showing them off. Part of being stylish is dressing age appropriately. I'm too old to have my belly hanging out. I have to face facts. But I can still look good and wear beautiful adornments. I love vintage pins and scarves. Most times I get them for about one dollar, but they go a long way to dressing up an otherwise plain jane jacket or coat. Make your own style. Become your own style guru.

No comments:

Post a Comment