Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cheaper Vacations Part One

Vacations are always expensive because you have to replace everything you already have at home. But there are ways to make it better. When booking a room, the most important thing is to have a refrigerator. I try to keep eating out to a minimum. Years ago when both my husband and I were working, we would take mini vacations. These were overnight or weekend trips to a nice hotel with a pool. I would always pack food. The food bag was generally larger and heavier than the bag that carried our clothes. I brought wine, chocolate, dinner in the form of a roast chicken, cheese, bread, fruit and boiled eggs for breakfast. I continued this trend on our Washington D.C. vacation. I like visiting the nation's capitol. All the museums are free. There are concerts and free music everywhere, but the food is expensive and so are the hotels. One year when we took the kids we stayed in Alexandria, VA which was more economical. I found a hotel with a Supermarket across the street. What a joy!! We bought cereal and milk and had breakfast in the room every morning. Then we would buy stuff for lunch as well. At the museum eatery I might buy a drink but that was it. Or sometimes we would walk over to the nearest Mickey D's. There was also a sandwich shop nearby which was reasonable. Every place has cheap good places to eat. The problem is that as strangers we don't always know where they are. This why I try to bring my own food when I travel. Or if too lazy or rich to pack, just ask the locals where they eat.
Another way to find a cheap room is to go to Priceline or Hotwire and bid for it. I always pick a 3 to 4 star with a pool or not and always get close to my bid price. Hotels always have extra rooms that they would prefer to have occupied, these last minute deals are great even though you do not know the name of the hotel until you book. Best deals are online.

No comments:

Post a Comment