Monday, July 11, 2011

Habitual Frugality

Every savings plan needs a goal, be it ever so modest. Even if the goal is to buy a new flatscreen. Having a goal in mind helps. Don't think of saving as a sacrifice. For me it's always been a really fun game. I used to love telling people my salary and watching their jaws drop. They couldn't and sometimes wouldn't believe it. I had everything and was able to take vacations too. How did I do it?, by being very careful with my money. I wouldn't spend it. I gave myself a strict budget. For many years I got $20 a week in spending money. I stick to that number even now. You get used to things. I am used to noticing prices. I am used to spotting discounts. I know how to search the web for the best deals. Being cheap has become a way of life.
I started buying second hand clothes as a kid. My parents were struggling and there didn't seem to be enough money in the house. They would give me money every week for lunch and carfare to school. I saved the money by skipping lunch and bought necessities out of the savings. One year I needed a winter coat. I didn't want to ask for it. I just bought it at a thrift shop for five dollars. I was very happy with my purchase and have been shopping that way ever since. When I got my first job out of college, I had no clothes. I had been wearing Tshirts and jeans mostly. I didn't even have a decent pair of shoes, just sneakers. I wore the same three or four things for a while. I waited a month and a half for my first paycheck and went shopping (second hand of course). I came home with bags of stuff.
Now saving money is a habit that I just can't break. It's additive and lots of fun. I do more with less and I like it that way. Sometimes when I drive through an expensive neighborhood and see a really nice big house. I think about what I would do, if I were rich. Would I want to live there? Nah, too much work. Too much upkeep. That's not for me. I like things simple and manageable. If I ever had too much, I would worry about being able to hold on to it. I know I can hold on to what I have right now and that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment