Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Simple Sewing Updates for Your Clothes

My mother and many of my aunts have at one time or another worked in the rag trade. One of the things I learned was that when manufacturers skimp on a garment, the first thing they cut are the buttons. One way to make a so-so piece look more expensive is to trick out the buttons. I sometimes buy garments at church sales for the buttons. This week I will be changing the buttons on a Kmart Henley to make it just a little nicer. It has dyed to match plastic buttons which I will be tricking out for shell buttons. I did the same thing once to a silk sweater from K mart. What a difference. No one could believe it was from the Big K. I'm no seamstress, but I can change a button. Simple as it is, not everyone does it. At church sales and yard sales, I often come across garments which have been discarded merely because they are missing a button. I buy them and replace the button and have a nice article of clothing with only five minutes of work. This trick is also good for updating clothes. I had a jacket that I was tired of. I got some big gold toned buttons at a sale and completely changed the look. I got a lot more use out of it. Sure beats buying a new jacket. In the summer I look over my winter clothes and set aside any mending. At the end of last winter I bought an old tweed men's coat. It's really nice, but I noticed it needed a button. This week I will change all the buttons on the coat and I willl attach a big beautiful pin that I got at a yard sale for fifty cents. It's going to look gorgeous. The coat cost me a dollar at the Salvation Army. Not bad for no money.

No comments:

Post a Comment