Tuesday, November 8, 2011

VOTE PLEASE VOTE

It's election day and your vote does matter. The only thing that can reign in the abuses of big business and their lobbyists is the vote. It's no accident that a slew of states are trying to suppress the vote of certain groups. They are afraid of the power of the electorate. They should be afraid because if we ever decided to stop playing their capitalist game, they would suddenly know what it means to be in trouble. I wish the Occupy Wall Street people all the best but I sure hope they vote. I remember last year during the midterm elections, I stopped in at the bank before going to vote. I chatted up the teller, who had a job, but probably didn't make much money. She wasn't sure she was going have time to vote. I tried to tell her how important voting is. But she was young and didn't listen. Many young people did not vote the last time around and unfortunately we got the congress we deserved. Even this year when we are voting mostly for local stuff, the vote is very important. Vote for the people who will do the right thing for your community, to keep services and community organizations like libraries running. Don't vote for the slash and burn politicians who want to pit voters against each other and "say" they'll lower taxes but end up just giving you an uglier and more restrictive community.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, vote. When someone says they're going to lower taxes, ask yourself, "what are those taxes paying for?" The mistake a lot of people made was thinking that the taxes were to support "those poor people." And look what happened, the middle class became "those poor people."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in a beautiful small town. I pay my taxes willingly because I know it takes money to support this great town. Only slums have really low taxes. I don't want to live in a slum. But I know that when I retire, I probably won't be able to keep up with the taxes. That's why I feel, I have to go live in Florida. Also my husband wants to be someplace warm.

    ReplyDelete