Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Boycott Black Friday and Shop Small Businesss Saturday.

As part of the 99% I think this Christmas we should all shut our wallets and boycott Black Friday. Personally I have never shopped on Black Friday. The truth is that I shop all year long for Christmas and by the time the holidays roll around I am done. I have shopped and paid everything off, I am free to have fun. I would rather spend my money on my town's Main Street. This year I am also considering sending some edible gifts. I want to cut down on clutter by giving edible Christmas gifts. This way no one gets stuck with something unwanted. It can just be put out for guests to eat and be gone. Every town has a bakery and a candy store. I like chocolate, cookies or even a cake for Christmas morning. The whole commercial Christmas thing is way out of whack. Although I am not in the top one percent, I'm okay and I feel that out of solidarity with the 99% we should get them where it really hurts and close our wallets for Christmas. Don't shop! Do something else instead of shopping. Bake, make music or shop in your own closet for gift giving. We all have great stuff floating around in the closet, which we could give away or sell online and turn around the money to buy back from other small sellers. Let's take Christmas back from the big corporations and make it small again.

4 comments:

  1. I'll be working on Black Friday and then a bunch of us are going swimming, YAY. I agree, bake for the holidays, that's the best thing to do. I think is't criminal how Target wants to open up midnight on Friday. That's just fowl, especially since a lot of folk shop online these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it should be illegal to force workers to show up at such an ungodly hour. I wouldn't shop in those places just because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised that Macy's opened at midnight as did Lord and Taylor. I mean people were shopping before 7am this morning. I saw people in my neighborhood coming BACK from the stores at 6am! What's going on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's abuse your worker day. These are temp jobs that end in January but employers know they can abuse these people. But workers are getting abused in more ways than one. All these cheap goods cost jobs. Instead of raising wages, they do a head fake and give us cheaper goods. Cheaper stuff makes us feel richer. The problem is that in order to make things more cheaply, you have to pay people less and use cheaper materials. In the end cheap costs society much more.

    ReplyDelete