Friday, November 18, 2011

Pay Off The Mortgage

Nothing in the world feels better than owning your home free and clear. Although you are still responsible for taxes, at least that is a manageable expense in most parts of the country. When I was house hunting, one of the things I thought about was taxes. The condition of the house didn't worry me because you can fix anything but taxes can't be fixed. I saw a house in Westchester County which I crossed off my list because of taxes. Taxes in Westchester are are as much as $25,000 a year. My sister in law in Jersey is paying $14,000 a year. That's crazy. We didn't have kids so we didn't care about Blue Ribbon schools. I bought in a more modest area where I knew my paycheck would suffice to pay the taxes, heat and electric. It actually isn't much more than I was paying for my apartment, so it was doable. We could have bought a bigger and more expensive house, but I was afraid to get in over my head. I have always enjoyed financial peace.

3 comments:

  1. Taxes always trip you up. Hard if you have kids though, you really have to live in a good school district.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or you can try homeschooling and protect your kids from the bullying and senseless spending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I think homeschooling is a great idea, not everybody can do it. What if the parents are nearly illiterate themselves?

    The only way to prevent kids from bullying is if you keep them locked up in the house and never let them out.

    ReplyDelete