Thursday, November 17, 2011

Practice Making Payments

If you think you want to have car payments for a new car or something, take a year and practice doing it. Open a special account or get a jar and pretend you are making those payments on time every month. After a while you might reconsider the idea of having those payments. That would be a good outcome. Another good outcome would be that you build up a nice little bundle after a year and then pay cash for a used car that is only a few years old with low miles. I gave this advice to my students who wanted to get their own places. I would tell them to pretend to pay rent for a year. If they wanted privacy to have a boy over, I advised them to go to a hotel. A couple of nights at an hotel is much cheaper than renting an apartment. In the meantime if they stayed home they could save up and buy their first place and be on the road to financial freedom. I've never had to rent a place. I bought and paid maintenance. I don't like the idea of paying rent except in certain circumstances for the short term. I'm pretty stable and don't like to move. Buying works better for me.

5 comments:

  1. Not necessarily true in NYC. A lot of folks are renting now because they don't know if they'll have a job next year and will be stuck with a condo or co-op they can't afford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. However, if you're talking about young people. They'll probably have to concentrate on paying off their student loans before they can even buy a place. And you still have to be careful if you buy someplace, you don't want to find yourself upside down on your house/condo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never bought real estate to make money. I always bought thinking I would spend the rest of my life there. If you're in it for the long haul and it won't cost you less to rent. Then what does it matter if you're upside down in a house that you are enjoying. As for NYC I never wanted to pay the premium for living there. That's why I moved away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But I'd kill myself if I lived in the sticks. Been there, done that, no more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't live in the sticks. I live in a lovely town with a beautiful Main Street that has everything I need in walking distance. And I have a bus to the Mall which I never visit.

    ReplyDelete