Thursday, June 16, 2011

Poisoning the Commons

Lately I have been attending anti-fracking rallies in NYS. It sure beats vegging out in front of the TV five nights a week. We are trying to convince Legislators to uphold the moratorium in NYS that has stopped fracking here. We turn into a pumpkin on June 30. If they start fracking here they will destroy my home which is a paradise.
When capitalism was getting off the ground workers were desperately needed for the factories. The problem was that people lived in rural communities and had enough. They had food and they had cottage industries like weaving that really gave them freedom. They didn't want to work regularly, they would work periodically. This was not good enough for the Powers That Be. The Solution was to close the commons. The commons were the common lands were people had traditionally grazed their cattle. No longer able to subsist in the countryside people were forced to moved into crowded cities and work in factories. They became disciplined by factory work as opposed to farm work. Their lives were changed forever.
Now things are more sophisticated. Instead of closing the commons we poison them. Up here in the Hudson Valley, for example, GE under the direction of Jack Welch dumped so much PCB into the Hudson River that it is no longer safe to eat the fish. New York Harbor was once the Oyster Capital of the world, but now with all the contaminants, oysters no longer grow there. Horizontal and vertical fracking will destroy farming in my community and, if I stay here, it will force me to buy drinking water and water for bathing and washing clothes. That's just one more bill. I go to anti-fraking rallies because I like being able to open my tap and get all water I need for very little money. I like growing some fresh herbs and lettuce in my garden and I like having a couple of fruit trees too. All of that will go away if they destroy the water table which is what Fracking does. We may be the Saudi Arabia of Natural Gas, but at what cost? Will our children have to fight foreign wars for water in the future? If we just husband our resources a bit we have more than enough fuel. Green energy is frowned upon in many circles. Green energy can make us rich again and independant. But no one really wants people to be independant because free people cannot be controlled. Better to hobble people with exorbitant health care costs, big mortgages, and high water bills. This way people are trapped. I hate feelng trapped. That's why I'm cheap. I was always pretty happy to know that I was an at will employee. In my mind that door swung both ways. I could say no to my boss without a problem. Independance is the real source of revolution. That is why I am so upset about the issue of fracking. They want to shackle me with a high water bill. The worst part is that there is nowhere to go. The whole country's water supply has been irrevrsibly polluted. New York State is the last holdout, at least until June 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment