Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Less is More HOUSING

The American family is lost at home. We have increased the square footage of our houses only to lose ourselves in the space. Everyone has a room. This means that family interaction is limited. Whenever I watch House Hunters on HGTV, I'm shocked by how big the houses are. It seems that kids can't share a bedroom with a sibling. It's crazy how big houses have become. People don't have to see each other anymore. Is this what it means to be rich? Is it rich to be part of a family but be alone all the time you're at home. Sorry, I don't get it. I think small is better. I'm on the verge of buying something down in Florida for retirement. I want something small. I want one bedroom in about 565 square feet. I know that I can keep and clean something that size. If I got a two bedroom, I would also want to have roommate. I think a home office is kind of silly. I don't want to be a slave to my home. I want to do as little work as possible. I want to go out to the museum instead of cleaning the house. Smaller square footage also means less stuff. When I had my small apartment, I had to get rid of things periodically to make room for the stuff coming in. Now that I have more storage. It's harder to get rid of stuff, though I do give away a lot to the churches anyway because I know it's bad to horde. Smaller homes are also cheaper to heat and maintain. Next time buy a smaller house and enjoy the closeness of family relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment