Thursday, January 13, 2011

the new new thing

The next time you're on your way to the mall to buy this season's must have item, stop in at the Goodwill or Salvation Army to visit the graveyard of the new new thing. You can see plainly what happened to last year's hot purse or scarf or blouse. All the cute pillows that everybody seemed to have on the sofa, all the accessories, candles, mirrors, frames, etc. end up discarded. On rare occasions you can spot the genuine good thing. A good thing has stood the test of time. It may be old but it still looks good. It's easy to spot the good thing ten or twenty years after the fact. The real problem is differentiating the good thing from the merely new thing. Whatever you think you must have, truth is you can probably do without. Save your money to buy a roof over your head. Save every nickel you have. Once you have a cheap place to live, wealth, real wealth is yours. Now I like to be as stylish as the next gal. This year I bought the September Vogue and noticed that leopard prints were this year's new, new thing. I promptly went out tag sailing and picked up a pretty nice bag for one dollar. I kept my money for savings. I have a house, but I want to buy a place for retirement. I have to save as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment